APD Training Academy Recommendations
The RPS leadership team wants your input on a series of short and long term recommendations to improve training courses, address racial bias, and foster greater equity and inclusion within the Austin Police Department Training Academy.
Your feedback and suggestions will help the RPS leadership team develop the final set of recommendations to share with City Council along with a plan to ensure the improvements are made, and a timeline for resuming the APD training academy.
The recommendations are listed below. Feel free to share your thoughts on as many of the recommendations as you'd like. Learn more about how the recommendations were developed here.
SHORT TERM RECOMMENDATIONS
- Transition to a blended civilian/police academy.
- Create an academy curriculum review committee that includes community members
- Formalize the process for review of videos shown at the academy
- Create a model for academy and expert community subject matter experts to teach courses together
LONG TERM RECOMMENDATIONS
- Develop strategies to enhance long term racial, ethnic, and gender diversity of academy staff and faculty.
- Implement two-week community engagement program for cadets.
- Provide continuous de-escalation training for cadets and current officers.